Turn Yourself Upside Down With Polarised Interval Training

2 min read

It may only be January, but the UCI World Tour has finally returned with the Santos Tour Down Under. Riders like Peter Sagan and Richie Porte will be looking to assert themselves early on in the 2018 season, as the route travels through 800 km of roads around Adelaide and South Australia.

Since we’re still in the depths of winter in the northern hemisphere - and a few months away from seeing any European UCI racing - we’ve put together two workouts based around the polarised training model to give your new year training a boost. 

Hopefully, they’ll give you a taste of some high intensity training and, potentially, turn you upside down with the effort required to finish the session!

Essentially, polarised training dictates an athlete should spend 80% of their training at an intensity less than their FTP, with the other 20% spent working at levels above their FTP. 

This model has been proven to be an effective and time efficient method of training for endurance sports, and is the framework of our newly updated training plans.

The two workouts below are optimised for total aerobic load. After a good 20 minute warm up, the intervals alternate between sitting below FTP and then pushing you closer to maximal aerobic capacity. The advanced version gets harder as time goes on, so make sure you’re fresh and mentally prepared! Don't forget to hydrate well before, during and after the session, too. 

POLARISED INTERVALS - INTERMEDIATE WORKOUT

Minutes % FTP RPM
5 85 90
1 135 100
5 85 90
1 135 100
5 85 90
1 135 100
5 85 90
1 135 100

 

POLARISED INTERVALS - ADVANCED WORKOUT

Minutes % FTP RPM
5 80 90
1 130 100
5 85 90
1 135 100
5 90 90
1 140 105
5 95 90
1 145 105

 

For more structured, personalised training, download the Wattbike Hub.


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.


Also in Blog

Ways to fuel yourself before and during a Wattbike session
Ways to fuel yourself before and during a Wattbike session

5 min read

In association with Clif Bar. Whatever you want to achieve, the food you eat has a significant role. Getting it right can supercharge you towards where you want to be, make training more enjoyable and lead to a healthier you.
Getting connected with your heart rate monitor
Getting connected with your heart rate monitor

1 min read

Enhance your Wattbike training experience by using a heart rate monitor to get the most insightful workout data.
Everything you need for your first Wattbike ride
Everything you need for your first Wattbike ride

1 min read

From unboxing your Wattbike to your first session on the Wattbike Hub, here’s our handy checklist to get you started with your smart bike.